North College Hill (NCH) has a population of 9,397. The city was awarded a WeTHRIVE! Community Wellness Mini-Grant in November 2011 and adopted the WeTHRIVE! Community Wellness Resolution in December 2011. How North College Hill THRIVES!:
The NCH WeTHRIVE! team has implemented an Action Plan that carries out their vision of North College Hill as a walkable community. The team identified three sidewalk routes that connect vital parts of the city, such as the elementary, middle and high schools and the business district. To encourage residents to walk to these places—where they would normally drive—the city used $21,000 of WeTHRIVE! funds for sidewalk improvements.
North College Hill on WatchUsThrive.org:
- Routes Mapped: Each path begins and ends at the City Center, where a new sign shows a map of the routes.
- Routes Marked: The 1-, 2- and 3-mile paths are marked with blue NCH MOVES! footprints.
- Routes Improved: The project involved more than 1700 square feet of sidewalk improvements such as truncated domes at curb cuts to prevent slipping and to make the paths accessible to people with handicaps.
- Routes Shared: The city secured a unique shared use agreement that allows public use of an existing path in a resident's backyard that connects residential areas to the business district.
- WeTHRIVE! Blog: New community pathways lead to a healthier, more active North College Hill by Amy Stenger
Contact WeTHRIVE! to get your community onboard. Get updates and information about WeTHRIVE!—Join the Movement today! Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. Check out our YouTube channel.