Citizen Spotlight: Esther Toran
Married, with four adult children and five grandchildren.
Has worked for 26 years at the University of Cincinnati, mostly as an administrative assistant.
Esther was born and raised in Lincoln Heights. Her mother, five of her siblings and their families still live there.
Making a Difference with WeTHRIVE!:
Esther is co-chair (with Ruth Sanford) of the Lincoln Heights WeTHRIVE! Community Consortia. Her projects include:
- A community garden, kicked off in May, where 20 families are growing their own fruits and vegetables.
- A tobacco-free village policy, passed by the Lincoln Heights Village Council, banning smoking on all village property, both in and out of doors.
- An initiative to encourage local convenience stores to make healthier food available and more visible.
- A plan to establish a safe walking trail for the village.
- An effort to recruit fellow residents to form block watch groups.
In Her Own Words:
"I'm always wanting better for my children and grandchildren. I hope to recapture the community that I grew up in. I’m hoping that WeTHRIVE! is a jumpstart, a motivator for people who want to be involved in turning around the community. There have been some efforts over the years, but I am hoping for more of a global change."
Help Esther make a difference. Sign up today, and join the movement! WeTHRIVE!